Saturday, March 23, 2013

DIY Decorated Beer Bottle Vases


One of my favorite things in this entire world is Mod Podge. It's a versatile glue-type substance that you can use for anything. I seriously mean anything. It is not only a glue, but a sealant and finisher. I have used it for a lot of my DIY projects in the past, as it's only about $6 for a bottle of it that will go a LONG way. I've had two bottles and they have lasted me almost two years so far! Possibly the best investment I have ever made in the DIY department.

Anyway, I'm always looking for ways to liven up my apartment, since I live with two boys. Most of my walls are full of huge posters of naked girls and sports paraphernalia (not that I'm not a sports fan). In their defense, they pay for it, so it's forgivable, but sometime's I just want something to make our place a little more exciting.

As I stated, I live with boys. Two college boys, to be exact. Therefor, there are always plenty of beer bottles hanging around the apartment or in the trash. One night, I was bored while they were playing video games, and decided to do something with them. I grabbed my Mod Podge and my bottles and went to work.

I happened to have a lot of tissue paper lying around from a previous DIY I did, so I figured why not use it instead of having it lay around in the way. This is what I ended up with after a few hours of hard work (; It's a great way to brighten up a room, especially with Spring being this close but still having snow on the ground!




As usual, I'm on a budget. So the total cost of this DIY was around $4, because I only had to pay for the fake flowers.

Here's a breakdown of exactly what I used along with cost -REMEMBER: you do NOT have to use the exact same brands as I did, like the bottles for example -
1. Case of Land Shark beer (emptied and washed out) $30
2. Mod Podge $6
3. Paint Brush $1
4. Tissue Paper $1/each
5. Fake flowers $1/each


So you want to make them?? Well, here you go.

1. Empty (or drink) the bottles (;
2. Wash out bottles completely
3. Pick out tissue papers you'd like. I got mine from Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar tree.
4. Paint a thin base of mod podge all over bottle, as quickly, but efficiently as possible.
5. Carefully lay tissue paper on bottle and wrap it around the bottom 'fat part'
6. Cut the extra paper off in a straight line right at the mouth of the bottle (or however high you would like it to go)
7. Mod podge the neck and lip of the bottle, and use your hands to twist the tissue paper around the neck. You may need to add extra mod podge to certain parts because some of the tissue will be overlapping and laying on other tissue, not the mod podged bottle. Just remember to do this carefully. Tissue paper is already fragile, and the mod podge tends to make it very weak and it can rip easily. A few of my bottles have small tears, but I just left them, because I personally love mistakes in art - it makes it completely unique to you!
8. Once the paper is on the bottle how you would like it to look at dry, Paint a complete coat of mod podge on top of the tissue paper to act as a sealant. This way the tissue paper wont just rip off or fall off when getting wet.

Here is my end product. I'm not done yet, but I ran out of bottles! In order from left to right, there's a teal bottle, a pink zebra bottle, a paisley bottle, a pink cheetah bottle, a striped bottle and an orange bottle. - TIP:  Try and match your flowers to the bottle colors! It makes it look a little more elegant, I think!

Doesn't it just remind you of spring?!

-Hakuna Matata-

No comments:

Post a Comment